The Canterbury Commemoration Society (registered charity no. 1057977) was founded in June 1996 with these objectives:
- to advance public education in the events and people in Canterbury’s history; and
- to preserve, protect, develop, and improve features of aesthetic, artistic or historical interest in Canterbury.
We seek to achieve these through:
- Developing new memorials on our own.
- Acting as a hub and support for groups that seek to develop other memorials.
- Representing the views of the community, in conjunction with others, when developments that relate to the City’s heritage are proposed.
- Acting as a non-political pressure group on issues that relate to our objectives.
‘Canterbury’ in the Society’s constitution covers the post-1974 area of the city (embracing Whitstable, for example), not just its historic core.